This was Tony Blairs view, that ‘very difficult negotiations lie ahead’ on the EU budget. You bet they do. Just look at the list of proposals:
– a cut in the seven-year EU budget to roughly â‚¬850bn, or 1.03 per cent of the unionâ€™s GDP;
– Britain would give up part of its rebate: â‚¬6bn-â‚¬9bn is the working figure used by officials;
– cuts of â€œno more than 10 per centâ€ to the â‚¬160bn of EU aid earmarked for new members in eastern Europe;
– cuts of about â‚¬5bn to rural development aid;
– a review of all EU spending in 2009, including farm support.